Monday, December 22, 2008

December 21st

So it's day 11 of 16 of our contiki tour and I've been through Switzerland, Leichtenstein, Austria, and Italy. We're now leaving Florence for Nice.

So I thought Switzerland was so worth it! We stayed two nights on top of Mt. Pilatus (Swiss Alps) and had a day in Lucerne. Lucerne is a nice tourist town. But one day is enough. The best part was sledging through the swiss alps. Enjoying the swiss scenery.....breathtaking!

I was kinda unsure what language to use while in these countries.....Its German, but its kinda weird speaking German outside of Germany.

As we left Lucerne for Innsbruck, we passed through Liechtenstein. This little place is dead. We spend an hour there, and that was enough. Took a total of 5 pictures!

We made it to Innsbruck (the bridge of the river Inns) in Austria at 4pm(?). This place is famous for Sacre Torte (choc torte with a hard icing and jam in between two layers of cake). Also popular for Swarovski, we viewed the "Winter Wonderland exhibition. The whole place was decorated with Swarovski crystal. Just imagine....cyrstal everywhere!
Wondered through an Austrian christmas market and had mulled wine....it was the perfect european experience. Sat down late afternoon for a Vienna coffee and a torte with Hilary....and then it was time to go back to the hotel!

Italy was where we spent 4 days in. First Venice, then Rome, and finally Florence. Venice was a maze full of shops and restaurants. Extremely touristy, this was the town I least liked.
Rome to me was a big outdoors Museum. A few key words we came up for Rome: traffic, chaos, scooters, stone, marble, steps, sculptures, monuments, very large monuments. I enjoyed shopping in Rome- maybe because I bought a hot pair of Italian jeans for 60 euros!

Florence! Florence was my favourite Italian city. Set in Tuscany, this place is just the right size. Quaint and charming. A bit touristy, but that's ok! I'd love to spend summer here, maybe try out the famous char-grilled steak. Gelato here was the best I had in Italy!

My impression on Italian food? Well, unlike most....I'm not a big fan of Italian food. To me, its pizza, pasta, espresso and gelato.
Most meals do not have a lot of variety; is salty, and very oily. Olive oil.
The only thing I like in Italy is gelato, antipasti and espresso. The small stuff- but we can get these back home. Pasta and pizza are over-rated.

Am I in love with Italy....I don't think so. I'd come back to see Florence and enjoy the gelato, and espresso, but it's a place i cannot stand. The people and traffic is just too much for me.

No comments: